Friday, April 6, 2007

"Meaning of Success" - posted Dec 27, 2006 on myspace

What is the meaning of success? It has a different definition for everyone but I guess the common meaning is that you have a great job (that pays lots of money), nice house (a mini mansion, at least), nice car (BMW at least, HUMMER or Corvette even better, or at least have a chauffer), spouse(s) or much better mistresses....

The reason I ask this is that early this morning while I was at work, someone IMed me asking why I am so far away from my home country. I hardly know this person, just someone whom I've just started chatting with on Yahoo. I told him that I came here to further my studies and while I was doing that, I met my hubby and that is why I am now living and working here.
Then, out of the blue he asked, "How does it feel now that you are successful?" So, I asked him what does he mean by that and he said that I am successful coz I live overseas, have a great job (he thinks it's great since my title is Financial Controller), have a college education, have influential/famous friends (which I am not sure where he got that idea from), as well as being married to a "Mat Salleh".

Anyways, I was little taken aback with what he said coz to me that is not the indication of being successful. Living overseas is not successful...I chose to marry an American and that is why I live here, nothing successful about that.

Having influential or famouse friends is also not a success. I am also not sure why he thinks I have influential friends . Having good friends is always great but I wouldn't measure it as a success... it is more of you knowing which friends to keep and which are better off known as "acquaintances".

Having a good job and college education? I don't know if that is a success but I am proud that I finish college and have a job (tho doesn't pay very much but I like what I do) that put a roof over my head and food on the table.

Married to "Mat Salleh"? Why is that a success? Nothing special about being married to a Mat Salleh. Still have to go thru the same stuff if I were married to Melayu. A success in marriage would be finding a spouse who really loves and cares about you. Who would be there by your side thru the good and bad regardless of his/her ethnicity. In this case, I do see myself as successful

I don't really have an answer to what success means so I am going to throw this question out to the universe... So, what do you guys think SUCCESS means?

No comments: