Friday, April 6, 2007

"Birthday(s)" - posted Dec 12, 2006 on myspace


Today, December 10, 2006 would have been my mom's 60th birthday. If we were in Malaysia, we would have had a big bash and all of her close family and friends would be invited to celebrate her birthday. Alas, she passed away 3 years ago on August 10, 2003 at the young age of 56 from breast cancer .

Before she passed away, December 10 would mark the beginning of the birthday "season" in my family. You see, from December - February someone is celebrating their birthdays. We have birthdays up the wazoo he he he . Some of my family have passed away but we (myself at least) still celebrate their birthday(s).

My little niece, Karsen, just celebrated her first birthday on November 28. My other nephew, Apan's (real name: Raja Muhammad Irfan Arif Shah bin Raja Lyon Ariff - looonnnngggg name huh) birthday is also in November so now my birthday season extends from November - February. Actually, it would have been October - February if I include my 2 cousins, Asrolf and Ali, whose birthdays are on October 17 & 18, respectively. Anyways, here are the birthdays with some special occassions thrown in:

Oct 17 - Asrolf's (cousin) birthday
Oct 18 - Ali's (cousin) birthday
Nov 18 - Apan's (nephew) birthday
Nov 28 - Karsen's (niece) birthday
Nov 29 - Jim & my wedding anniversary (our 10th this year)
Dec 10 - Mummy's birthday (deceased - '03)
Dec 25 - Azli's (cousin) birthday
Dec 26 - Syazleen's (sister) birthday
Dec 27 - Mummy & Daddy's wedding anniversary (would have been their 37th)
Jan 4 - Diana's (my "adopted" sister) birthday
Jan 13 - Wan Ma's (aunt/godmother) birthday (deceased '99)
Jan 14 - my brithday
Jan 20 - Chris' (Jim's sister/ Karsen's mom) birthday
Jan 29 - Dad's birthday
Feb 1 - Jim's birthday
Feb 5 - Grandma Antoinnetts's birthday (deceased '02)
Feb 7 - Wan Nyah's (my aunt) birthday
Feb 8 - Lyon's (my brother) birthday
Feb 23(?) - Frank's (Chris' hubby/Karsen's dad) birthday (sorry Frank, I know it's late Feb but am not sure of the date)
Feb 28 - Lyon & Syarah's wedding anniversary

So, as you can see, if you add Aidil Fitri (Eid Mubarak), Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year & Valentine into the mix...it is one humongous celebration for me. ..

Anyways, the picture above was taken on my mom's last birthday in 2002. Jim & I surprised her by going back to Malaysia. It was a big secret among the family that she didn't know we were going back until my sister Deen took us home from the airport...he he he. Mummy, I love and miss you very very very much!!!!

No comments: