Thursday, November 29, 2007

Anniversary

Here I am on the morning of my wedding anniversary, jolted awake from my deep sleep for the need of a glass of water. Jim is fast asleep with my 2 boys...Or is that them I hear behind the computer room door? I can't fall back to sleep...might as well since I will need to get breakfast for the boys and get ready for work soon...

11 years, that's how long we've been married. We've been together 13 1/2 years...We met when we were both studying at Southern Illinois University. How so long ago it seems but it felt like yesterday to me.

I remember our wedding day so well...It was a freezing cold winter day in Chicago...on a late Friday afternoon. It had been raining sleet and snowing all day so the streets were slippery. The day before was Thanksgiving so Friday was a busy shopping day for everyone. After driving a couple of times around the block to park our car, we found one right across the street. We trudged thru the snow to the Muslim center near downtown Chicago. Though I had my coat on, I was freezing my heine off since I was wearing my white baju kurung wedding dress. I had lifted the hems so as not to get them dirty from the sleet and snow hence exposing my legs and the wind was blowing up my dress...brrrrr *wink*

With my brother (Lyon) & sister (Deen) and Jim's family & relatives around us, the Imam of the Muslim center married us in a simple ceremony. My brother was one of the witnesses, the other was one of the clerks at the center since none of Jim's family (beside Jim, of course) is Muslim. After the paperwork were signed and we had some cake...we were off to Graziano's for dinner... It was a quick simple ceremony but I will always treasure the moment. The moment I became Mrs. James William Pergo Abdullah.

I do have to admit that these past 11 years weren't always easy. We have our ups and downs but in the end I know that we love each other and no matter what we will be together. At the end of the day, I know that I have someone whom I love & care very much and that that feeling is reciprocated by Jim. I am happy to say that I did find my soul mate, my partner in life, my friend....

JIM,
MIELE FELICE DI ANNIVERSARIO. TI AMO MOLTO E SEMPRE VOLONTA. QUI E A MOLTI ALTRI ANNI DA A VENIRE...

(Happy anniversary honey. I love you very much and always will. Here's to many more years to come...)

Pic 1: About 2 months after we met at Southern Illinois University
Pic 2: The Iman and us on our wedding day
Pic 3: Our sanding ceremony in Malaysia the following April '97
Pic 4: This is us now...he he he

2 comments:

Siti Blogger said...

Yin, congratulations from me and Azad. (Yes, we're still up at 12am reading your blog!)

Azad tanya, "husband die itali ke?"

Btw, you've been tagged. See my blog if you decide to play along :-)

Shirin said...

Hi Nin,

Thanks!!! My goodness, ni sure case tak boleh tido ni ;-).

Err yes, Jim is Italian-American. Well half Italian anyways, on his dad's side. His mom is campur English, Irish, Dutch, Swedish & Native American...