Thursday, January 22, 2009

Something Funny...

Something funny happened a few moment ago at work. Since we were bought out by another bank last year, some of the branches are being consolidated. Our branch is one of those that will close mid next month so we are trying to go thru tons of stuff in the branch. Sensitive materials are being shredded and collected by the shredding company while the rest are put in a big dumpster in the back of the bank. And let me tell you...this dumpster is HUGE!

So, the phone rang and I answered it. Turned out it was our RM (Regional Manager) wanting to talk to my BM (Branch Manager). Asked him if he wouldn't mind being put on hold while I get my BM, he said no. So I put him on hold and dialed the extension to my BM's desk. There was no answer so I went looking for her in the back office. The back door was open so I know she was just outside dumping stuff into the dumpster.

The sight that greeted me when I walked out was to die for. Mind you, my BM is short, maybe about 5'1" and with the shoes that she's wearing, she's probably be at about 5'4". The dumpster is maybe about 7 feet high. Here was my BM doing this frog leap thing trying to throw stuff into the dumpster. It was a little comical coz she reminded me of how a little kid would do this little jump while throwing their ball into a hoop.

Anyways, I took pity on her so I told her to hold the back door open for me while I dump the stuff. I am 6 foot tall and with my shoes on, I'm about 6'2" so it was just a matter of me tip toeing and hauled the stuff over the dumpster. Here's the syncher...as I turned around to get back into the bank, I noticed there was a cop car parked a few yards away from us. The policeman was laughing his head off so I gave him a big smile, saluted, did a little bow and walked back into the bank.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shirin, hope everything is going well over there. now i understand how hard it is to be away from m'sia and family, living in new environment, culture etc... studying was easy, i was in liverpool doing architecture for 5 years.. but working and raising a family in a foreign land is a totally different matter...
for that, i salute you,..how long has it been for you?

btw, i always wanted to start my blog, but never had to courage to write.. go to http://jazrin70.blogspot.com/ ...the website is exactly like that 4 months ago.. :)

Take care, say hi to Jim for me.

Shirin said...

Hi Abg Jazrin...

It has been 16 years in the US for me. Before that was 2 years in Holland while doing my A-Levels...

Living overseas is not that hard if you are willing to learn the culture and be adaptable while still maintaining our own culture and values. We have to be willing to meet new people too and accept their beliefs and opinions.

Those who stubbornly stays within their own "kind" and not venture out from under the tempurung are the ones who will have a hard time adjusting to new environments and will lose the best experience of living overseas.

nuhaafnan said...

this story is indeed funny shirin!

Shirin said...

Thanks Anne...;-)

Anonymous said...

Whoops, I think I posted my comment for this post elsewhere instead...
Wan Chik

Anonymous said...

Hi shirin,
totally agree with you..
btw, the story is funny indeed..:)

Shirin said...

Thanks Abg Jazrin ;-)Btw, I went on your blog...he he he tulis la sikit...