Saturday, January 3, 2009

16 Years Ago

16 years ago tomorrow I embarked on a life long journey. 16 years ago I left my family and life behind in Malaysia and came to the US. When I came, I had expected to just be in the US for about 2 years. Just enough time for me to earn my BSc as well as some life experience. I had fully expected to return to Malaysia after I graduate and spend the rest of my life there. Little that I know that 16 years later I am still in the US.

I bet you wonder what happened, right? How did 2 years ended up being 16 years? Well love happened... See just before I left for the US, my heart was broken. And this was not any kind of broken, it was not just cracked in 2 but smashed to smitherens. So I left hoping that it will mend eventually and I also had a little revenge planned. I was going to get my degree and go back to Malaysia, get a great job where my ex is working and maybe be his boss. Obviously that was a stupid plan...the revenge part anyways.

Anyways, the first part of my 2nd year in the US, I met this wonderful guy. I wasn't expecting to meet anyone, much less falling in love. We hit it off immediately and have been together since. We dated for about 2 1/2 years and just a little over a month ago celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary.

So, that is why I am still here 16 years later. I wouldn't trade my guy for anything in the world and I am hoping for many years to come with him...

4 comments:

Siti Blogger said...

Awww...how sweet! Congrats Yin on your anniversary and happy new year!

Shirin said...

Thanks Nin!! He he he. Happy New Year to you too. Insya allah this year we'll be able to go back for a visit and maybe we can meet. ;-)

Anonymous said...

hi shirin,
hope it's not too late to wish you happy anniversary,...wow, 12 years..

Shirin said...

Thanks Abg Jazrin!!! ;-) Time does fly, doesn't it?