Monday, June 2, 2008

"Seronok ke tinggal kat US?"

"Seronok ke tinggal kat US?" ("It is nice living in the US?"). That is one of the questions people (mostly Malaysians) would ask me when they find out that I live in America. I had this question asked by 3 different people over the weekend. And, my answer is always, "Yes and No". "Why?" you might ask... Well, here are my reasonings.

1. My hubby is American. When I took my marriage vows, I vowed to be with him (& he me) for better or worse, sickness or health, till death do us part. So, wherever my love is, there I will be. Another question people ask me is, "How does it feel to be married to a "Mat Salleh'?" Like any marriage, there are ups and downs. You take the good and the bad coz nobody is perfect. Gosh I know I have many faults of my own!!! Being married to Mat Salleh is no different than marrying any other races, may it be Melayu, Cina, India or whatever it is. You have to work at your marriage, there has to be give and take. Yes, I do admit that it might be a little difficult coz of the cultural differences but as long as you have the same values, cultural differences doesn't mean much.

2. I feel less awkward here. Because of my height (I'm 6 feet tall), I feel that I blend in better here. Here, I can find clothes and shoes that fit me. I don't have to go to the shoe cobbler or the tailor to have my shoes and clothes especially made for me like I do in Malaysia. I can walk tall and not have people stare at me or say something mean behind my back (oh you know who you are). Oh don't get me wrong, there are mean people here too but I get to be me.

3. Freedom... speech, religion, etc. I am free to think whatever I want and say it if I want to. I am me when I am here. I don't have to act or talk a certain way, the "accepted" way like I do in Malaysia.

4. I've become accustomed to things here. Having been in the US for 15 years now, I've become accustomed to how things are done.

5. I miss my family back in Malaysia. I wish that we live nearer (but not too close).

6. I miss Malaysian food. Yes I can get some of them here but there is nothing like eating my mom's cooking or the smell of satay being grilled.

7. During Ramadan and Aidil Fitri, there is nothing like the atmosphere you get in Malaysia. Here you wouldn't even know that it's Ramadan or Hari Raya.

So, there you go, the reasons for my saying, "Yes & No" when someone ask me, "Seronok ke tinggal kat US tu?".

6 comments:

elisataufik said...

and I am often asked "Seronok ke tingal di Saudi?" and of course the obligatory "Dah buat haji?" or "Dah berapa kali pegi umrah/haji?"

I think life is what you make it, wherever you make it. So, duduk mana2 pun, if you make it seronok, it will be seronok.
Baiki jamban pun boleh jadi seronok ;)

nuhaafnan said...

you're a six footer??? *pengsan* how tall is Jim then? and your boys?? *double pengsan*

i'm just 5'4" and still i feel like giant sometimes compared to the petite ladies here

Shirin said...

Elisa,

I can imagine the questions you get too. You are right, life is what you make it... And, yes baiki jamban pun boleh jadi seronok LOL!

Shirin said...

Raggedyanne,

Yup I'm a 6 footer. Wanna know something funny? I am taller than Jim by 4 inches. My friends used to (& still does) tease me about our heights. Selalu kata kenapa la carik yang pendek dari I coz kat sini ramai yg tinggi2. But then, dah hati suka, height doesnt matter...

He he he my 2 boys lagi la..both pendek je. You do realize that my 2 boys are cats, right? Though, Sammy is quite big (almost 15pounds) and Tiger is about 11 pounds.

nuhaafnan said...

omfg, shirin! lol, i did it again, didn't i? me and my bfg self... i know u have two boys, but i have NO IDEA they're actually cats! and coz when I read their birthday posts, i never look at the pics! sorry babe! i should learn to NEVER EVER assume things next time i open my mouth, lol. that explains a lot now :D

Shirin said...

Raggedyanne,
Lawakla you ni... Walaupun depa cats, we treat them like our "sons". Yela dah tak dek anak sendiri, anak kucing pun tak pe la. We love them to bits...

Depa both registered so ada last name, i.e. Sammy James Pergo & Tiger William Pergo. Their middle name tu nama Jim, which is what we would have used if we have 2 human babies...he he he.