Monday, June 9, 2008

Under The Tuscan Sun

I watched "Under the Tuscan Sun" on AMC (American Movie Classics -channel 43) over the weekend. The last time I saw this movie was when it came out on DVD a few years back.

The movie itself was okay but what I like the best was the Italian scenery. It is so beautiful over there in Tuscany. It reminds me of the time my family & I drove across Europe for our family vacation so many years ago.

It was in the summer of '89, and we were living in Holland then. My dad took 2 weeks off of work and we drove all over Europe. We went to Belgium, Germany, Liechenstein, Switzerland, Austria, Yugoslavia (this is before the civil war when there was still a Yugoslavia), Italy & France. We had so much fun camping by the freeway. At night, the girls (my mom, sister & myself) slept in the car while my dad & brother slept in the sleeping bags. It was a luxury for us to sleep in a hotel when we get into the bigger towns. I always look back to those memories with fondness...

Of all the countries he could visit, Jim wants to go to Italy the most. That is because he's half Italian and still have some family members in the southern part of Italy. He's never been there and I would like us to go there some dya. We were supposed to go to Italy for our 10th anniversary a couple of years ago but due to some unavoidable circumstances, the trip never materialized. Hopefully, with careful planning, we will be able to do so for our 15th anniversary... Insya allah.

Anyways, back to the movie. Rent it if you like romantic movies coupled with beautiful sceneries...

Other Italian scenery movies I like:
1. "The Talented Mr Ripley" - (Matt Damon, Jude Law, Gweneth Paltrow)
2. "Only You" - Marissa Tomei, Robert Downey Jr.
3. "Life is Beautiful" - Roberto Benigni

2 comments:

elisataufik said...

i loved italy..
I had just watched that movie when my husband told me that we were going to Italy. Heheheh.. went dreamy abih.
Too bad we didnt have enought time to really explore the villas and Tuscan countryside. (Tapi sempat ambik gambar with the huge sunflowers!)
If I go there again, it'll definitely be a roadtrip!

Shirin said...

The first time we went to Italy, I was 11 so lots of it I don't remember much. Though I do remember that that was the first time I had spaghetti and really loved it!!. I guess that's where my taste in Italy (food & men he he he) came about. The 2nd time was when I was 18 so ingat habis ler...

From Yugoslavia, we crossed the border at Trieste then went to Venice where my dad got con by the gondola man. We then drove to Firenza (Florence), Bologna, Roma, Napoli (Naples), Pisa then up into France and back to Holland. While in Naples, we visited Pompeii... very eerie to be there. Also, my sister & I climbed the Leaning Tower of Pisa... gayat dibuatnya. You can view some of these pics on Facebook on album "Me, Myself & I" versi 1 & 2 he he he

He he he we took some pics with the sunflowers too. Never knew that they can grow that tall!! Would really love to go back there one of these days....