Thursday, June 12, 2008

Summer

Summer is definitely here!! Currently at about 11:38 am (Arizona time) it is 86F (30C) and the high is supposed to be about 98F (37C) today. The weatherman is predicting the high of about 108F (42C) for this weekend. I know that I will be staying put in the house this weekend!

I guess that is one of the disadvantages of living in the desert. In the middle of summer, it can go up to about 117F (48C)! Sure that you've heard the saying, "It's so hot you can cook an egg on the pavement"? Well, you can do that here, I've done it. Couldn't believe my eyes when the egg cooked to a perfect "sunny side up" ("telur mata lembu") right on the sidewalk.

I sure am glad that there is hardly any humidity here. There is no way I can survive the heat AND the humidity. I do have to say that my miniature cactus are striving. They are definitely in their element. My annuals all died about a month ago when the temperature started rising.

Oh, I better get my car checked. Definitely do not want to break down while I'm running around doing my errands. With the high gas prices (US$4.13/gallon), I am glad I have the Yaris (Toyota). Before the Yaris, I drove a '94 Dodge Caravan with a kaput air conditioner... Can you imagine driving around in that clunker with no air, in the middle of the day in summer?? I did lose some weight from sweating.. he he he.

Anyways, here's wishing that everyone have a nice & safe summer!

2 comments:

Pea said...

Hi Shirin. I can imagine how hot summer is in Arizona. I was in Chandler end of October'05 where it was a cold fall morning when I left Austin, Texas with 7am flight. The moment we landed at Phoenix I could feel the heat. It was really a thermal shock for me. I ended up wearing just my turtleneck throughout my 2 day stay at Chandler. Never thought that fall would be still hot in Chandler.

FYI: I was in Scottsdale for a week in 1995. Never knew that you were there. Even in my 2005 trip to Chandler, did not even know that you were there. Would have called you for dinner treat or spend the weekend together. I took early Monday morning flight from Austin and left with late night flight on Tuesday (to save company's money from paying my hotel's bill). sob sob sob

Shirin said...

Hi Kak Pea,
Yeah summer here can be brutal. Masa KPea was here in Oktober tu not so bad la.

Oh in '95 I was still in Chicago, Illinois studying at Roosevelt University. We didn't move to Arizona until December '99. If I had know you were here in '05, boleh la kita jumpa. Scottsdale is the suburb north of Mesa (where I live). You could have even stayed with us. Oh well, next time kalu KPea come again let me know la ;-)