Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Ants Invasion

As Mondays are my normal day off, I did some grocery shopping yesterday. I bought some sugar free chocolate chip cookies and banana nut bread. After dinner last night, I left the container of cookies and bread on our kitchen counter. I've done this on several occassions before without any problem.

In the mornings, my 2 boys usually will try to wake me up so that I could feed them their breakfast. But this morning Sammy was quite persistent in wanting me to get up. Thinking that he is just extra hungry, I try to pat him so that I can catch more zzz before my alarm clock goes off at 6am. Anyways, after about 5 minutes of trying to calm Sammy down, I heard Jim got up and when into the kitchen. Then I heard him (from my very foggy sleep state) said, "Shirin, wake up, we've been invaded by ants"

Thinking that there are probably a couple of ants crawling on the cookies, I groggily got up and walked into the kitchen. And what greeted me in the kitchen jolted me wide awake. There wasn't just 2 ants, there were hundreds of them!!! Never before have I seen swarm of ants that many. They had a line from the corner in my pantry, across the kitchen floor, up the side of the kitchen counter, all the way along the sink, behind my spice rack and over to the stove. We've never had problem with ants before, though we do put ant baits around the house (just in case) so it was a shock to both Jim & I to see that many ants when only a few hours before there weren't any.

Obviously, I threw away the cookies and banana bread. I went through a whole container of lysol wipes and scrubed the kitchen counter, stove and floor. I ran over (drove actually) to Walmart & Home Depot and got tons of ant baits. While at Home Depot, the sales clerk told me that for the past few days, they had quite a few people coming in buying ant baits. Apparently, the rain storm we had a week ago caused the ants to seek shelter and food in houses since their homes were washed away by the storm.

I felt somewhat relieved that we weren't the only ones invaded by ants. Anyways, we put baits all over the kitchen and when I came home from work today, I am happy to say that the baits are working. Hopefully the baits will continue to work because I never ever ever ever want to go thru that ever again.

Now, I need to go take a shower coz the thought of those ants are making me itch.....

No comments: