Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Arrrggghhhhhh...worry, worry, worry

Could I be standing in line at this office in a month or two? Maybe, but I surely hope not. There are some changes happening at my work that will definitely effect everyone. I can't tell you what the changes are just yet coz nobody else in the office knows about it except for the owners and yours truly. The owners don't want to announce it to the employees just yet until they are sure everything is in order. They don't want to cause any panic among the employees which I can understand. I truly appreciate the trust the owners have in me to keep everything in order...

I think the changes that are happening will be good for the office but I just can't stop worrying about how it would effect me. I've been with this company for a little over 2 years now after quitting a very good job at a bank. In fact, the owners were my customers at the bank. Though there are more opportunities for me to climb the corporate ladder at the bank, I was not happy there. After about 10 years working in the customer service department (at various jobs including the bank), I was getting burned out dealing with the public. I find that I don't want to hear people whine when they don't get their way or deal with rude people (customers are not always right, you know!). I am just tired of dealing with people.

At my present job, I have my own little office tucked away in the far corner of the building where it is peace and quiet (except for Tuesdays when they use my side of the building to see additional patients). As long as I have my cup of coffee or tea (depending whether it's winter or summer) and my music, I am happy clicking away on the computer looking at numbers and charts. My hours are pretty flexible, Tuesday - Friday 8:00 am - 6:00 pm. Actually, the hours are not really important since the work I do doesn't require me to be in the office while the patients are there, I can actually work whenever I want. That really helps especially if I have appointments to go to, I can adjust my work hours around it. I can even go into work at midnight if I want to...

Anyways, one of the changes that will effect me is that I might be working from home a lot more. Which, by itself would be totally awesome but the compensation might be a little less than what I get right now. My hours might also be less and that is what is worrying me the most at the moment. You see, Jim has been ill since February and am not able to work full time so, currently I am the main bread winner. As I am being paid by the hour, the more hours I work, the more I make. We are doing okay at the moment but if my hours are cut down, I worry that we might not be able to fulfill our financial obligations (I am so glad that my student loan is paid off a long time ago - phew!). Of course we have our savings to fall back on but I would like to keep that for a true emergency or our old age.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to take it one day at a time. Nothing else I can do about it. In time, I am sure everything will fall into place. Everything will work out in the end...

Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
Courage to change the things I can.
And the wisdom to know the difference

No comments: